NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- AstraZeneca (AZN) thinks its worth more than $106 billion. But many investors on StockTwits.com don't agree. And they say AstraZeneca's quick rejection of Pfizer's (PFE) sweetened offer for the company could kill chances of a deal.
Shares of the pharmaceutical company opened half-a-percent lower Friday after management rejected Pfizer's improved $84.47-per-share bid for the company.In a press release this morning, AstraZeneca Chairman Leif Johansson said that the deal, worth just over $106 billion, undervalues the company's drug pipeline. "As such, the Board has no hesitation in rejecting the Proposal," Leif said. Investors are concerned that Pfizer will drop its pursuit of the company rather than return with a higher offer. The new $84-per-share offer is 10% higher than Pfizer's prior $76.62 offer.
$AZN http://stks.co/g0ZJA says not to $PFE. $AZN shareholders could take a beating if $PFE walks away. Will they? Or go hostile? -- Shiv Kapoor (@shiv139) May. 2 at 08:49 AMShould Pfizer drop its acquisition bid, many investors who purchased AstraZeneca shares in anticipation of a deal would be left with stock trading at a higher multiple than the market was willing to support sans acquirer interest. AstraZeneca shares are up 18% since Pfizer confirmed its renewed pursuit of the company last week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV