Additionally, comparisons between the current and prior year third quarters were affected by the acceleration of $94 million in sales shifted into the Company’s fiscal 2013 second quarter in advance of the January 2013 implementation of SAP as part of its Strategic Modernization Initiative (SMI). This amounted to approximately $78 million in operating income, equal to approximately $.13 per diluted common share.
Excluding the impact of the shift, the Venezuela remeasurement charge and restructuring activities, net sales in local currency and operating income for the three months ended March 31, 2014 would have increased 8% and 18%, respectively. A reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures is included in this release.
“Our outlook for the balance of the year remains positive and we expect to achieve our financial objectives,” Mr. Freda said. “We continue to forecast local currency sales growth of 6% to 7%, and we are raising our earnings per share guidance to $2.86 to $2.90, before charges and the effect of potential accelerated sales orders relating to our SMI go-live in July 2014. Driving this performance will be new and recent product offerings across categories, particularly in skin care and makeup. For the remainder of the fiscal year we also expect our growth will continue to be fueled by our success in high-growth channels and emerging markets, while enhancing our local relevance. Importantly, our mid-size brands continue to grow faster than the average, increasing their contribution to the Company’s sales and profitability, while strengthening our portfolio. We are flexible in our investment spending, targeting opportunities that provide the highest returns, promote demand for our brands and foster global growth. At the same time, we are improving operating leverage and eliminating non-value added costs to further improve operating margins and profitability.”
Results by Product Category
|Three Months Ended March 31|
|(Unaudited; Dollars in millions)||Net Sales||Percent Change||
Operating Income (Loss)
Returns and charges associated
with restructuring activities
The change in net sales and operating income for the quarter was favorably impacted by the prior year shift in orders from certain retailers, due to the Company’s implementation of SAP, as previously mentioned, in the following product categories:
- Net sales: Skin care, approximately $48 million; makeup, approximately $32 million; fragrance, approximately $10 million; and hair care, approximately $4 million.
- Operating income: Skin care, approximately $40 million; makeup, approximately $26 million; fragrance, approximately $9 million; and hair care, approximately $3 million.
- Reported net sales in skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care would have increased 7%, 7%, 11% and 1%, respectively.
- Operating results in skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care would have increased/(decreased) 3%, 12%, (100)+% and 63%, respectively.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts