REDDING, Calif., May 1, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Randall S. Eslick, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of Commerce Holdings (Nasdaq:BOCH), a $970.0 million bank holding company and parent company of Redding Bank of Commerce and Sacramento Bank of Commerce (a division of Redding Bank of Commerce) (the "Bank"), today reported net income available to common shareholders of $515 thousand and diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.04 for the first quarter 2014.
Financial highlights for the quarter:
- Asset quality improved with reductions in nonperforming assets by $5.4 million from the prior quarter and by $14.5 million from the first quarter of 2013. Nonperforming assets were 2.61% of total assets at quarter end compared to 3.23% at the prior quarter end and 4.07% at the end of first quarter 2013.
- The Company's Tier 1 Leverage and Total Risk Based ratios are significantly above "Well Capitalized" levels at 12.11% and 16.48%, respectively.
- Non maturing core deposits increased $44.3 million or 11% compared to the same period a year ago.
Net income available to common shareholders was $515 thousand for the three months ended March 31, 2014, compared with $2.0 million for the same period a year ago. The decrease in net income in the current quarter was attributed to the following:
- The negotiated settlement of a note receivable from the former mortgage subsidiary resulted in a loss of $1.4 million recorded in other expenses or ($0.07) per share.
- A $290 thousand write-down on the pending sale of other real estate owned.
- Securities losses of $245 thousand due to the sale of lower yielding, longer duration securities.
- Competitive pressure in the banking industry and changes in the regulatory environment
- Changes in the interest rate environment and volatility of rate sensitive assets and liabilities
- A decline in the health of the economy nationally or regionally which could further reduce the demand for loans or reduce the value of real estate collateral securing most of the Company's loans
- Credit quality deterioration which could cause an increase in the provision for loan losses
- Asset/Liability matching risks and liquidity risks
- Changes in the securities markets
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts