National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NYSE: NOV) announced today that its board of directors has given final approval for the spin-off of its distribution business. The resulting company will be known as NOW Inc. (“NOW”) and will be headquartered in Houston.
The separation will be completed by way of a pro rata distribution of all of the outstanding shares of NOW common stock to holders of NOV common stock. This distribution is expected to occur after market close on May 30, 2014 (the “Distribution Date”) to NOV stockholders of record as of the close of business on May 22, 2014 (the “Record Date”). On the Distribution Date, each NOV stockholder as of the Record Date will receive one share of NOW common stock for every four shares of NOV common stock held at the close of business on the Record Date. Fractional shares of NOW common stock will not be distributed and any fractional share of NOW common stock otherwise issuable to a NOV stockholder will be sold in the open market on such stockholder’s behalf, and such stockholder will receive a cash payment with respect to that fractional share.
Following the distribution of NOW common stock, NOW will be an independent, publicly traded company, and NOV will retain no ownership interest in NOW. NOW expects to receive approval soon for the listing of its common stock on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DNOW.
NOV expects to receive an opinion from its legal counsel to the effect that, based on certain facts, assumptions, representations and undertakings, for U.S. federal income tax purposes, the distribution of NOW common stock and certain related transactions generally will not be taxable to NOV or U.S. holders of NOV common stock, except in respect to cash received in lieu of fractional shares, which generally will be taxable to such holders as capital gain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV