NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Avanir Pharmaceuticals (AVNR) spiked Wednesday afternoon after a court ruled in the company's favor in a patent litigation case, but the shares had fallen off considerably by the close of trading Thursday.
The stock dropped 6.63%, or 33 cents, to $4.65 at the closing bell. More than 11.2 million shares changed hands to easily surpass the average volume of 2,408,670. The stock had a range of $4.45 to $5.06 for the day and holds a 52-week range of $2.62 to $6.
On Wednesday, the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware ruled in the company's favor in its patent infringement lawsuit against Par Pharmaceuticals and Impax Laboratories over NUEDEXTA.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The latter two companies had Abbreviated New Drug Applications for generic versions of NUEDEXTA capsules for the treatment of pseudobulbar affect, a medical disorder characterized by sudden and uncontrollable episodes of crying or laughing. After a six-day bench trial, the court ruled in Avanir's favor.
"We are very pleased with the Court's decision, as it confirms our continued belief in the strength of the patents covering NUEDEXTA," said Avanir President and CEO Keith A. Katkin in a statement. "Our focus remains on making NUEDEXTA available to patients suffering from the debilitating condition of PBA. This decision provides twelve-plus years of market exclusivity for NUEDEXTA."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV