Alpha Natural trimmed its loss to $55.7 million, or 25 cents a share, from a loss of $110.8 million, or 50 cents a share, in the same period one year earlier. Revenue dropped 16.6% to $1.11 billion from $1.33 billion. Costs and expenses fell 10.8% to $1.31 billion from $1.46 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
The company sold 21.4 million tons of coal in the quarter ended March 31, a year-over-year decrease from 22.9 million tons. The weighted average coal margin per ton dropped year over year to $3.21 from $6.12.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 181.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$127.58 million to -$358.79 million.
- The gross profit margin for ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 8.29%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -32.80% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$69.56 million or 132.69% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 37.85%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 179.31% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ANR Ratings Report