NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of The Clorox Co. (CLX) are down -2.19% to $88.71 after reporting third quarter earnings results of a 2% net sales decrease and $1.05 diluted EPS from continuing operations for 5% diluted EPS growth.
Clorox reported third quarter revenues of $1.386 billion, below last year's third quarter revenues of $1.413 billion.
On a currency-neutral basis, sales grew over 1%. Excluding the negative impact of 13 cents diluted EPS related to an effective currency devaluation in Venezuela, the company's diluted EPS for the third quarter was $1.18.
- CLX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CLOROX CO/DE's earnings per share declined by 5.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CLOROX CO/DE increased its bottom line by earning $4.32 versus $4.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.45 versus $4.32).
- 45.26% is the gross profit margin for CLOROX CO/DE which we consider to be strong. Regardless of CLX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.64% trails the industry average.
- In its most recent trading session, CLX has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Household Products industry and the overall market, CLOROX CO/DE's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CLX Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV