10 Years Ago, You Paid Much Less for These Foods
NEW YORK (MainStreet) - If beef is what's for dinner, it'll cost you an arm and a leg.
The rising cost of food has created a huge headache for consumers in the United States. According to a recent Nielsen survey, food is the number one reason people tightened their belts when it came to shopping for other products like household, health and beauty items. It makes sense-we've been paying more for food for a while now. Since 2004, the overall price of food has increased by an average of 29%, but the price of many individual foods skyrocketed beyond that.
Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, we compiled a list of 10 foods that have shot up in price from the end of 2004 until March 2014. Read them and you'll be able to grumble about "back-in-the-day" prices with conviction.
- Also See: Get Ready to Pay More for Coffee Amid Drought in Brazil
- Also See: Orange Juice Prices Are Squirting Higher
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV