NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Avon Products Inc. (AVP) are down -12.63% to $13.37 on Thursday after the company said it will pay $135 million in fines and fees in order to settle a U.S government investigation into whether or not the company paid bribes in China.
The door-to-door cosmetic sales company will pay $68 million to settle with the Justice Department and $67 million to the SEC.
Under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Avon's Chinese subsidiary will plead guilty to violating its books and records in exchange for a three year deferment of criminal prosecution, after which the charges could be dismissed.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Today, Avon posted its 2014 first quarter earnings and reported a loss of -$168.3 million, or -38 cents per share, compared to the 2013 first quarter loss of -$13.7 million, or -3 cents per share.Total revenue for the first quarter 2014 was $2.2 billion, an 11% decrease from $2.5 billion from the same period last year.
AVP data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV