Drugs Better Than Sex, Rock N' Roll for Reps. Blumenauer, Cohen
Updated from 10:20 a.m. with comment from Blumenauer spokesman and video of Blumenauer questioning a White House drug policy official.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Sex sells, but for Oregon Rep. Earl Blumenauer, advocating for marijuana legalization is an even better way to boost his profile with the public.
The Portland Democrat is an outspoken advocate for marijuana legalization, and this rather dry 15 second video he put up just four days ago already had more than 7600 views as of Thursday morning, making it the most-watched video of the 25 his staff has put up on YouTube.
By contrast, this video of him doing a duet with super-sexy Portland-based performer Storm Large has been online for a year and it has just 273 views.
Patrick Malone, a spokesman for Blumenauer, said there is another factor to take into account, which is that the legalization video is "part of a six figure ad buy," from the campaign office.
"The videos on our Congressional YouTube site don't have that kind of budget. So it's not a difference in content quality, just a difference in resources. I invite everyone to watch all of Congressman Blumenauer's Youtube videos to judge for themselves. They should probably watch each one several times, in fact, to get the full effect," Malone quipped.
Maybe so, but the most popular video on all of YouTube featuring Blumenauer, which has racked up more than 100,000 views, shows him questioning White House national drug policy official Michael Botticelli. See it on the next page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV