DEVENS, Mass., May 1, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- AMSC (Nasdaq:AMSC), a global solutions provider serving wind and power grid industry leaders, today announced that it has successfully installed and commissioned three D-VAR® STATCOM systems in Africa and the United States. The new installations are connecting renewable power plants to the grid and ensuring power quality at industrial sites. Additionally, AMSC announced that it has won four new D-VAR contracts in Australia, North America, and South Africa. For all of these new contracts, the D-VAR system will be used to meet grid interconnection standards and safely and efficiently connect wind and solar energy generation plants to the power grid.
Located at the wind or solar plant substation, AMSC's D-VAR STATCOM provides a renewable energy integration solution that allows power plants to stay online and helps prevent the nuisance tripping of solar inverters and wind turbine generators. Customers utilize AMSC's D-VAR solutions to provide dynamic voltage control, power factor correction and post-contingency reactive compensation to stabilize the power grid and prevent undesirable events such as voltage collapse. The new installations include:
- Kahuku Wind project in Oahu, Hawaii: First Wind, an independent U.S.-based wind energy company, is using the solution to connect the 30 megawatt (MW) Kahuku Wind project to the Hawaiian Electric Company's (HECO) grid.
- Cookhouse Wind Farm near Port Elizabeth, South Africa: Consolidated Power Projects (CONCO), South Africa's largest high voltage construction company, has installed the D-VAR system as part of its efforts to connect the 140 MW project to the Eskom's grid. Eskom is South Africa's primary electric utility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV