Updated from 6:33 a.m. EDT
Here are 10 things you should know for Friday, May 2:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were rising Friday ahead of the U.S. government nonfarm payrolls report for April.
Economists expected the U.S. to have added 215,000 jobs last month, with the unemployment rate falling to 6.6%.
European stocks were flat. Asian shares ended the session mixed. Japan's Nikkei 225 index fell 0.2%.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Friday includes the nonfarm payrolls report for April at 8:30 a.m. EDT, and factory orders for March at 10 a.m.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Thursday closed mixed as a raft of positive economic data lifted sentiment after weekly jobless claims rose.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average settled down 0.13% to 16,558.87, while the S&P 500 finished effectively flat at 1,883.68. The Nasdaq gained 0.31% to close at 4,127.45.
Pfizer, the U.S. drugmaker, sent a letter to Prime Minister David Cameron, promising to keep the country's corporate and tax residence in England and saying the "golden triangle of Oxford, Cambridge and London would represent a vital component" of the deal.
Pfizer shares rose 0.2% in premarket trading. AstraZeneca fell 0.2% to $80.92. 5. -- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) reached an agreement to buy AltaLink, Canada's regulated electricity transmission company, from SNC-Lavalin Group for roughly $2.9 billion in cash. Meanwhile, Berkshire and Buffett, CEO of the conglomerate, will conduct the annual shareholders' meeting in Omaha, Neb., on Saturday.
6. -- Chevron (CVX) is expected by Wall Street on Friday to report first-quarter earnings of $2.51 a share on revenue of $57 billion. 7. -- Professional social network LinkedIn (LNKD) issued guidance on Thursday short of analysts' estimates after it said it swung to a loss in the first quarter ended in March.
In its second quarter ending in June, the company said it expects revenue of between $500 million and $505 million, with adjusted EBITDA of $118 million to $120 million. Analysts expected revenue slightly higher at $505.1 million and EBITDA of $120.34 million.
Excluding one-time expenses, LinkedIn posted first-quarter earnings of 38 cents a share; analysts expected 34 cents.
LinkedIn fell 1.8% to $158.33 in premarket trading on Friday.
8. -- The Food and Drug Administration will ask a panel of advisers to vote on Friday on whether Singulair, Merck's (MRK) prescription respiratory pill, is safe enough to be approved for nonprescription use First approved in 1997, Singulair was Merck's best-selling drug with revenue of $4.76 billion in 2011. But sales have fallen since the company's patent expired mid-2012, exposing the brand generic competition. 9. -- Royal Bank of Scotland's (RBS) first-quarter profit more than tripled. The bank said Friday that net income rose to about 1.2 billion pounds ($2 billion) from 393 million pounds in the year-earlier quarter, a better than expected result.
The stock rose 9% in premarket trading to $11.33. 10. -- Kraft Foods (KRFT) reported a higher profit for its first quarter as cost-cutting and one-time benefits helped offset a decline in revenue. The maker of Lunchables, Oscar Mayer and Velveeta partly attributed the lower revenue to the timing of Easter-related shipments, which were pushed into the second quarter this year instead of the first quarter.
Kraft fell 0.7% to $56.27 in premarket trading. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV