Proto Labs, Inc. (NYSE: PRLB), a leading online and technology-enabled quick-turn manufacturer, today announced record financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014.
- Revenue for the first quarter of 2014 increased to a record $46.1 million, 23 percent above revenue of $37.3 million in the first quarter of 2013.
- The record quarterly revenue was achieved through an 18 percent increase in the number of product developers served combined with an increase of 4 percent in spending per product developer.
- Net income for the first quarter of 2014 increased to a record $10.1 million, or $0.39 per diluted share. Non-GAAP net income, excluding the after tax expense of stock compensation, was $10.8 million, or $0.41 per diluted share. See “Non-GAAP Financial Measure” below.
“Our story in the first quarter of 2014 was about execution on many fronts. We successfully prepared for the formal launches in metal injection molding and liquid silicone rubber, both of which were announced the first week of April. Our revenue growth was strong, especially considering all the weather slow-downs and closures our customers experienced in the eastern half of the country. And of course, we completed the acquisition of FineLine Prototyping which we proudly announced a few days ago,” said Vicki Holt, President and Chief Executive Officer of Proto Labs.
Additional highlights include:
- Gross margin was 63.0 percent of revenue in the first quarter of 2014 compared with 62.4 percent during the same quarter in 2013.
- During the first quarter of 2014, spending on research and development, including the Protoworks initiatives, totaled $3.5 million, or 7.5 percent of revenue. This compares to $2.6 million, or 7.0 percent of revenue, during the first quarter of 2013.
- Operating margin was 31.4 percent of revenue during the first quarter of 2014 compared to 30.5 percent in the first quarter of 2013.
- As measured on a year-to-date basis, cash generated from operations totaled $15.3 million and expenditures on capital equipment were $9.9 million. Total cash, cash equivalents and investments totaled $149.9 million as of March 31, 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV