PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) You can slap a bunch of flag stickers, ribbon magnets and patriotic slogans on a car and even make and assemble it here, but it takes more than that to make a vehicle American.
Buying from a company with headquarters in Michigan is no guarantee of an U.S.-made vehicle, nor is avoiding any brand that just so happens to have a vowel at the end of its name. You can have a car with 70% American-made parts, such as the Chevrolet Captiva, that's assembled in Mexico. Then again, there are cars such as the BMW AG that are assembled right here in the U.S., but only get 20% of their parts from this country. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration admits there's no such thing as a 100% American car and notes that one of its most American vehicles, the 70% U.S.-produced Ford Edge, has a base motor made in Mexico and is assembled in Canada.
More than 20 years ago, Congress passed the American Automobile Labeling Act requiring cars to have labels specifying their percentage of U.S./Canadian parts, the country of assembly and the country of origin for the engine and transmission. The NHTSB has compiled lists of these vehicles for each model year to help consumers who care about such things get more homegrown product for their money.
The following are the 10 vehicles assembled in the U.S. using the most U.S. and Canadian parts. The all-American car may not exist, but a car buyer bent on locas sourcing can get awfully close:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV