- Identify two safe rooms or areas where family members can go during a tornado, such as a room with no windows or a basement. Rehearse your emergency plan twice a year.
- Sign up for a free weather alerts system like Allstate Alerts to receive notifications about bad weather in your area.
- Consider purchasing and using a NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) Weather Radio in your home during the storm season to receive important weather warnings.
- Collect all important papers and documents. This includes bank, insurance and financial information, as well as bills and your checkbook.
- If you don't have an up-to-date home inventory, walk through your home with a video or still camera to take lots of photos and/or videos. You can also use an application like Digital Locker that helps you create an inventory of your items which can be stored right in your pocket.
- Remember to have only appropriately-aged family members safely shut off water, gas and electricity at the main switches.
Allstate Offers Important Tornado Safety Tips To Help Minimize Damage
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.