By late afternoon, shares had added 8% to $44.74. Trading volume of 3.5 million was double its three-month daily average.
Over the three months to March, the specialty mining and metals producer earned an adjusted 34 cents a share and revenue climbed 47.2% to $180.1 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had forecast 35 cents a share in net income and $157.8 million in revenue.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SLCA's share price has jumped by 95.79%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, SLCA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- U S SILICA HOLDINGS INC's earnings per share declined by 24.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, U S SILICA HOLDINGS INC reported lower earnings of $1.41 versus $1.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.85 versus $1.41).
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, U S SILICA HOLDINGS INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $17.92 million or 42.10% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 42.10%, U S SILICA HOLDINGS INC is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -48.79%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SLCA Ratings Report