NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Seagate Technology (STX - Get Report) was falling -2.7% to $52.04 Wednesday after slightly missing analysts' expectations for revenue in the fiscal third quarter and guiding below revenue estimates for the fourth quarter.
For the fiscal third quarter Seagate posted earnings of $1.34 a share, beating the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of $1.25 a share by 9 cents. Revenue fell -3.4% from the year-ago quarter to $3.34 billion. Analysts expected revenue of $3.42 billion for the quarter.
Looking to the fiscal fourth quarter Seagate expects revenue of at least $3.3 billion. Analysts expect revenue of $3.4 billion for the quarter.
The company shipped 138 million hard drives in the quarter, up from 136 million in the year-ago quarter, but down from 142 million in the previous quarter. Seagate expects demand to be "down a few points" in the fiscal fourth quarter.Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks SELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC (STX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, STX's share price has jumped by 47.94%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, STX should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $856.00 million or 1.42% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 7.56%.
- SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC reported lower earnings of $4.79 versus $6.45 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.11 versus $4.79).
- STX, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 4.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.8%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: STX Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts