NEW YORK (TheStreet) - For all the hubbub about TV viewers "cutting the cord," or canceling more expensive cable or satellite subscriptions in favor of only Internet-based video streaming through Amazon (AMZN), Netflix (NFLX) and Hulu, adult "millennials," the group most likely to do away with traditional services, haven't done so "en masse." At least not yet.
That's because shows on Time Warner's (TWX) HBO, Viacom's (VIA) Comedy Central and live sports keep them glued to their TV subscriptions, according to an April 2014 eMarketer report. EMarketer is a digital marketing, media and commerce research firm.
"The proliferation of digital video has raised the specter of large-scale 'cord cutting' by millennials," the report states. "The plausible premise is that millennials get so much video online that they see little incentive to pay for cable or satellite service, or for premium channels. However, buzz about this topic has gotten ahead of changes that may someday manifest in actual behavior."
To be sure, the age group is indeed more likely than older demographics to forgo pay-TV services, "as one would expect of people who have tight budgets and the technological savvy to access tons of free online video," but "they have yet to cut those cords en masse," the report said. A November 2013 poll by Verizon (VZ) Digital Media Services found that 13% of millennials, people ages 18-34, make do without any pay-TV service, which is higher than non-millennials (9%), but not high in absolute terms, eMarketer noted in the report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV