NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Supreme Court Tuesday handed down a decision that was another nail in the coffin of coal power generation here in the U.S. I discussed the impact of the decision with Jim Cramer this morning.
The Supreme Court overturned a federal decision targeting air pollution that crosses state lines. In essence, it gives the federal Environmental Protection Agency further powers to regulate the output of coal-fired plants in 26 states.
Although production of electricity from coal has been on the wane here in the U.S., even stricter federal regulations, which this Supreme Court decision will inspire, will add to the costs of retaining power production from coal or force utilities to retire coal-fired plants altogether.Coal stocks such as Peabody Energy (BTU), Arch Coal (ACI) and Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) are the most likely to immediately suffer from the decision. It is in some of the states more reliant upon coal generation that we will see increased costs.
Utilities in Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia will need to invest more heavily in pollution-scrubbing systems for coal plants they keep. Ultimately, this will hurt the bottom line of large utilities like PPL Corp (PPL) and Duke Energy (DUK). Jim thought that more universal regard for the Clean Air Act was a positive for companies like General Electric (GE) a leader in the manufacture of pollution control systems for utilities. I talk more about the impact of the Supreme Court decision on coal stocks with Jim in the video above.
At the time of publication, Dicker had no holdings in stocks mentioned, but positions can change at any time. Follow @dan_dicker This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV