Slowing of Brain Atrophy and Reductions in New Multiple Sclrosis Lesions Sustained at Three Years in Patients Treated with Genzyme's Lemtrada TM
- Consistent effects seen across key MRI measures of disease activity; Effects were sustained beyond two-year pivotal MS studies -
- Approximately 80 percent of patients treated with Lemtrada did not receive a third course of treatment in the first year of the extension -PARIS, April 30, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sanofi (EURONEXT: SAN and NYSE: SNY) and its subsidiary Genzyme announced today new magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) data from the Lemtrada (alemtuzumab) clinical development program. In Lemtrada patients from the two Phase III clinical trials (both treatment-naïve patients and patients who had active disease on another therapy), MRI effects observed after two years were maintained during the first year of the extension study. These data, which are being presented today at the 66th American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Annual Meeting, include:
- Consistent effects were seen across key measures of disease activity (gadolinium (gd)-enhancing, T2 hyperintense and T1 hypointense lesion activity) and effects seen after two years of treatment were sustained at year three.
- During the third year of follow-up, more than 70% of patients were free of MRI activity indicative of acute inflammation, defined as gd-enhancing or new or enlarging T2 hyperintense lesions.
- T2 lesion volumes, which reflect the combined burden of permanent brain injury and new lesion formation, increased from year two to three but remained below pre-treatment baseline.
- The rate of atrophy, as measured by brain parenchymal fraction, already reduced after two years, continued to slow in the third year of follow-up.
- Approximately 80 percent of patients treated with Lemtrada did not receive a third course of treatment in the first year of the extension.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV