NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Panera Bread
(PNRA - Get Report) shares are down -6.2% to $152.90 on Wednesday following the release of the company's first quarter 2014 earnings report.
The company's stock is down despite increasing year over year quarterly revenue 8% to $605 million, and beating analysts consensus estimates of $600.7 million.
Earnings for the quarter were $1.55, which also beat analysts consensus estimates by 3 cents.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
However, the national bakery cafe lowered its full year guidance in its earnings report. The company set its full year EPS range between $6.80 and $7, taking 5 cents per share off the top end of its previous earnings expectations.
TheStreet Ratings team rates PANERA BREAD CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate PANERA BREAD CO (PNRA) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- PANERA BREAD CO has improved earnings per share by 12.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PANERA BREAD CO increased its bottom line by earning $6.82 versus $5.89 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.93 versus $6.82).
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, PANERA BREAD CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 95.66% to $136.91 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PANERA BREAD CO has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -78.76%.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 5.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $51.61 million to $54.25 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PNRA Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts