Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) and Charles Schwab Foundation have named Aisha Barrows of Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver the seventh annual National Ambassador for the successful Money Matters: Make it Count SM financial education program. The National Ambassador serves as an advocate for the program and is charged with promoting education as the basis for lifelong financial health and well-being to teens across the country.
Aisha Barrows, 2014 National Money Matters Ambassador (Photo: Business Wire)
Barrows began her experience with the Money Matters program in 2011 in Denver. Shortly thereafter, she began educating teens and adults on financial literacy by sharing money-saving tips on her local radio show “ The Melting Pot,” which airs every other Sunday on KYGT-FM in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Barrows also used the knowledge she gained in Money Matters to start her own 529 college savings plan.
“Because of Money Matters, I’m more aware of when and how I spend money, and just having this awareness has helped me better balance ‘wants’ versus ‘needs,’” she said. “I’ve become a huge saver, and it’s been exciting to see my account grow little by little.”
As Money Matters National Ambassador, Barrows will receive a $5,000 college scholarship from Charles Schwab Foundation. Boys & Girls Club of Metro Denver will additionally receive a matching grant of $5,000 to help fund the Club’s work in providing Money Matters to Club youth.Barrows, who will graduate from high school in 2015, is a leader in her community and has been recognized through her Boys & Girls Club as Youth of the Month for various efforts over the past three years. Barrows plans to pursue a B.A. degree in English from the University of Northern Colorado and hopes to work for Teach for America upon graduation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV