GDP Up Only 1% in First Quarter
WASHINGTON (MNI) - Advance first quarter U.S. GDP data show very little economic expansion, with a deceleration in activity that reflected larger drags from exports, nonresidential fixed investment and a larger decrease in inventory investment.
The report by the Bureau of Economic Analysis showed Q1 GDP was +0.1%, nowhere near the 1.1% growth expected in an MNI survey of economists, and compared to +2.6% in Q4.
Real final sales were +0.7% from +2.7%, underscoring the weakness in the report. Chain Price Index +1.3% vs +1.6% Q4.
The slowdown in economic activity can be traced to down exports (-7.6%), nonresidential fixed investment (-2.8%), while the change in private inventories subtracted 0.6 percentage points from economic activity.There was also a deceleration in consumer spending, with PCE +3.0% vs +3.3% in Q4 2013. Government spending and residential investment were again subtractions from GDP but not as large as the previous quarter. The downturn in state and local government spending (-1.3%) was offset by 0.7% rise in federal government investment and a downturn in imports (-1.6%). The advance Q1 results, while worse than expected, indicate a significant slowdown in growth but much of that decline was due to a harsh winter. Analysts are optimistic that there will be a strongrebound in Q2, with momentum building into the rest of 2014. Components, Q1 Adv Est vs Q4:13 Final Estimate GDP +0.1% +2.6% Final Sales 0.7 2.7 PCE 3.0 3.3 S&L spending -1.3 0.0 Non Res Fixed Inv -2.1 5.7 Residtnl Inv -5.7 -7.9 Net Exprt Contrib cut 0.83 add 0.99 Inventory Contrib cut 0.57 cut 0.02 ** MNI Washington Bureau: Tel. (202) 371-2121 **
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV