NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Xylem (XYL) shares were upgraded to "outperform" from "neutral" by analysts at Wedbush on Wednesday. The firm set a price target of $42 for the company.
Analysts believe the recent pullback on the company's stock makes its current valuation an attractive buy.
"In our opinion, XYL's broad portfolio of water solution, strong balance sheet, and improving operations should help the shares outperform their peer group," said Wedbush analysts.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates XYLEM INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate XYLEM INC (XYL) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.55, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, XYL has a quick ratio of 1.58, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- 43.27% is the gross profit margin for XYLEM INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.58% trails the industry average.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, XYL's share price has jumped by 29.28%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- XYLEM INC's earnings per share declined by 5.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, XYLEM INC reported lower earnings of $1.23 versus $1.59 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.95 versus $1.23).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: XYL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV