ATLANTA, April 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast announced today it has begun launching more than 160,000 Xfinity WiFi neighborhood hotspots throughout greater Atlanta. The launch is an ideal complement to the hundreds of outdoor wireless access points already deployed across Atlanta, now making Comcast the largest provider of WiFi hotspots in Atlanta and Georgia.
"The addition of these hotspots enables our customers to have expansive use of their advanced broadband services, making this announcement an important milestone for Comcast and our valued customers," said Comcast Regional SVP Doug Guthrie. "In particular, this will be a major benefit to our WiFi customers who enjoy accessing all of their advanced communications and home security services when they are on the go."
The City of Atlanta has made tremendous progress in delivering numerous Xfinity WiFi outdoor hotspots to highly populated areas and tourist attractions, including Piedmont Park, Chastain Park, Buckhead and Atlantic Station, among others.
The network consists of:
- Xfinity WiFi Outdoor Hotspots: Comcast has placed Xfinity WiFi hotspots in public locations across the region, from shopping centers and parks to commuter stations. Comcast plans to eventually grow the presence of its Atlanta area outdoor hotspots to nearly 1,000 by year-end.
- Xfinity WiFi Hotspots in Business Locations – Most Comcast Business Internet customers are eligible to receive an Xfinity WiFi hotspot for no additional charge when they order service. This is a value-added feature that directly improves their patrons' experience. Examples include restaurants, cafes and bakeries, retail establishments and office waiting rooms. Currently, nearly 5,000 local Xfinity WiFi hotspots are located in Comcast Business locations in the region.
- Xfinity WiFi Neighborhood Hotspots: Recently, Comcast began providing residential customers with Xfinity Wireless Gateways the ability to have a second "xfinitywifi" signal (or SSID) in their home that is separate and distinct from their private and secure home WiFi signal. This second signal provides visiting Xfinity Internet customers WiFi access without the need to use the homeowner's private network and password.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV