According to a company release, Ronald McDonald "will take an active role" on McDonald's social media channels around the world."
Ann Hould-Ward, theatrical designer for musicals including Beauty and the Beast, has created a new look for the old clown. He keeps his trademark red and yellow colors but gets a more hip look including yellow cargo pants and vest, red and white striped rugby shirt and, on special occasions, a new red blazer.McDonald's is not new to social media but it hopes using Ronald McDonald boosts the brand and bring in some new customers. McDonald's has 2.3 million followers on Twitter and 30 million fans on Facebook, which places it well ahead of restaurant rivals. By contrast, Yum! Brands' (YUM) Taco Bell, which is taking on McDonald's using real-life Ronald McDonalds to push its own breakfast menu, has 1.2 million Twitter followers. But will Ronald McDonald appeal to the targeted audience of millennials? McDonald's needs a boost in sales in the United States, a region where it has struggled lately. In the first quarter, McDonald's reported a 1.7% decline in same-store sales in the United States. This compared to a gain of 1.4% in Europe and 0.9% in the Asia Pacific Middle East and Africa regions. Total revenue for McDonald's increased 1% thanks to the sales outside of the United States. Net income and earnings per share also fell in the first quarter.
Ronald McDonald may not be the savior for McDonald's sales problems, but it shows the company is not clowning around when it comes to marketing and drawing in new customers. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @chriskatje This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>Read More: Jim Cramer Says Be Patient on McDonald's Earnings - Video
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV