As far as monetization goes, Facebook is expected to convince upwards of 40% of WhatsApp users to pay for the app. With the cost only being $1 for the premium version of WhatsApp, that number could be even higher.
Even at 40% of WhatsApp users paying, that's still an incremental $400 million in revenue expected for 2015. Which is a pretty meaningful number, considering Facebook has generated $9 billion over the trailing twelve months. The user numbers could grow even faster than expected, with WhatsApp expected to roll out voice calls sometime this quarter.
In addition, Instagram still presents a big opportunity for Facebook.
Instagram's user base has doubled to 200 million monthly active users over the last year. It's now quickly approaching Twitter in size, which has 250 monthly active users. But Facebook has yet to figure out a monetization strategy for Instagram. That's another large revenue opportunity that investors might be overlooking.The other angle for Facebook is the entry into the ecommerce market. Facebook is trying to acquire a license for a money transfer service in Europe. With its one billion plus user base, it only makes sense for Facebook to push into the ecommerce market. Billionaire David Einhorn believes we're in another tech bubble, the first in 15 years. But none of this matters for long-term investors. The focus should be on the fact that investors have a chance to buy shares of the world's leading social network at a price that's well off its all-time high from just a couple months ago. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>Read More: Facebook Unveils Tools To Enlarge Its Mobile Footprint: StockTwits.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV