NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors followed the "smart money" into Zillow (Z) Tuesday. Tiger Global Management, a firm Forbes called "the world's hottest hedge fund," bought a 9.5% stake in the online real estate search company, according to an April 21 SEC filing that made its rounds on the Web Tuesday. The fund, run by Charles P. Coleman III, has been a top performer for several years.
Zillow's stock rose more than 11% today.
But some investors said smart money was making a big mistake with Zillow. With a market cap of $3.97 billion, the company trades at a whopping 150 times expected 2015 earnings. That valuation is too rich, say many on StockTwits.com, even for a high-growth stock in a large market. Sentiment on Zillow is 51% bearish, according to StockTwits' analytics.
It's not as though Zillow lacks competition. Trulia (TRLA), Realtor.com, and Redfin are just a few of the online sites vying for home shopper traffic.
Other investors saw wisdom in Tiger Global's investment. Nearly $4 billion was not too much, he said, for a company tapping the massive real estate advertising market.
$Z I'm not focused on valuation here because the market they're going after is so freakin' huge. We're talking $125Bln marketing spend... -- tickertutor (@tickertutor) Apr. 29 at 02:43 PM
At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV