Trade-Ideas: Barrick Gold (ABX) Is Today's "Barbarian At The Gate" Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified Barrick Gold (ABX) as a potential "barbarian at the gate" candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Barrick Gold as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ABX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $236.4 million.
- ABX has traded 6.2 million shares today.
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ABX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ABX NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ABX:
Barrick Gold Corporation produces and sells gold and copper. It is also involved in exploration and mine development activities. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1%. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Barrick Gold a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 15 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Barrick Gold has been 12.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Barrick has a market cap of $20.8 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 1.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Barrick Gold as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, BARRICK GOLD CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $1,016.00 million or 39.23% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 39.23%, BARRICK GOLD CORP is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -48.79%.
- ABX has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.62% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 6.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from -$3,013.00 million to -$2,830.00 million.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 29.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Barrick Gold Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts