The bank holding company reported net earnings of $6.7 million compared to the $3.1 million earned during the first quarter of 2013.
The company said it earned 57 cents per diluted share, versus 27 cents from the first quarter of 2013.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
MidSouth's revenue from consolidated operations increased $4.0 million from the same quarter last year.TheStreet Ratings team rates MIDSOUTH BANCORP INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MIDSOUTH BANCORP INC (MSL) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 13.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 38.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- MIDSOUTH BANCORP INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MIDSOUTH BANCORP INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.12 versus $0.77 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.19 versus $1.12).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 117.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1.63 million to $3.55 million.
- The gross profit margin for MIDSOUTH BANCORP INC is currently very high, coming in at 90.83%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 13.68% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 81.92% to $7.53 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, MIDSOUTH BANCORP INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -86.53%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MSL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV