Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) today released findings from the HumanaVitality Health Claims and Productivity Impact Study of Humana employees. The two-year study found improved health, as shown through lower health care costs and fewer unscheduled absences, among employees who actively participated in the HumanaVitality program. Humana offers HumanaVitality to employees and has been tracking results since the program’s launch.
HumanaVitality is a data-driven wellness and rewards program that motivates members to make healthier life choices. Overall, the study showed a positive correlation between participation in the program and employee productivity.
“This study shows that employee wellness programs built on measurable data can improve people’s lifestyles and positively impact business results,” said Joe Woods, HumanaVitality CEO. “These important results are encouraging and will be used to shape and build the program in the years to come.”
Key findings from the two-year study i include ( see addendum for methodology):
- Unengaged members in both years averaged $53 more per month spent on health care claims than members who were engaged in HumanaVitality both years.
- The largest impact on health care costs was on members with lifestyle-related chronic conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes. Engaged members with these conditions had 60 percent lower health claims costs than unengaged members with these conditions. ii
- Unscheduled absences were 56.3 percent higher among unengaged members in both years than engaged members. iii
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV