NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One company getting no love today is Coach (COH) with shares in the handbags and other fashion items retailer falling back towards their 52 week low following the announcement that their third fiscal quarter saw a near 25% drop in operating income profitability from a year ago. If that was not bad enough comparable sales in the U.S. fell more than 20% and the company said recent sales trends had not shown any real improvements.
Sometimes the darkest hour is before the dawn especially with financial commentators falling over themselves to say how bad Coach things are compared to a peer like Michael Kors (KORS).
Look again at the numbers though. Whilst their business in North America 'remained challenging' and hit by both the weather and the shift of the Easter holiday, other regions were performing much better with both Asia and Europe being described as 'robust' and in China specifically total sales grew by more than 25% and comparable store sales rose by more than a double-digit rate. Sales outside the U.S. accounted for just less than 40% of total company sales during Coach's third quarter. That is becoming more and more influential and, given the structural growth of the Asian consumer, has a strong likelihood of continuing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV