Comcast today announced that X1 triple-play customers will soon be able to live stream personal video from their mobile devices, over the Internet, directly to the television. The new feature, which will be part of Xfinity Voice, is being demonstrated this week at NCTA’s The Cable Show 2014 in Los Angeles and is expected to be available to customers by the beginning of 2015.
“Imagine you’re in Philadelphia and can live stream your son’s tee-ball game to his grandparents’ TV in San Francisco,” said Marcien Jenckes, Executive Vice President of Consumer Services for Comcast Cable. “X1 has set an industry standard for home entertainment, one that transcends traditional TV to deliver an immersive and personalized entertainment experience across all devices. By incorporating advanced communications into the platform, this is just another example of how we are making X1 the center of the customer’s home.”
In addition to live streaming, the following X1 features will soon be available to customers:
Enhanced GuideThe flexibility of the X1 platform allows for innovative new features and functionality that extend far beyond the existing television interface and create a convenient and intuitive TV experience. Comcast is expanding the capabilities of the X1 guide and making it more personal in a variety of ways, including:
- Spanish Guide & Navigation: This new in-language guide and menu labels will provide greater convenience for Spanish-speaking customers navigating the platform and its entertainment choices.
- Live Last 9: In the past, when X1 customers tap “Last” on their remote controls, they see static tiles of the last nine things they viewed. Now, when customers hover over one of their last nine selections, that tile will be “live,” essentially creating a picture-in-picture that lets the viewer see what’s happening on one of their previously viewed channels.
- Talking Guide: TV viewers who are blind or visually impaired often lack context or direction to find a program to watch. This will begin to change later this year when Comcast launches “Voice Guidance,” the nation’s first voice-guided TV interface.
- Personal, Prioritized Guide: This guide setting will allow customers to select their favorite networks that will appear first whenever the guide is launched.
- Kids Guide: Common Sense Media ratings will now be applied to live TV listings in addition to On Demand content.
- Instant On Demand: This feature allows customers to begin watching certain programs through Xfinity On Demand menu immediately after the live broadcast begins.
- On Demand Notifications: Badging will appear in the guide to let customers know when select shows are available on Xfinity On Demand.
- Xfinity Home App: Customers can adjust the thermostat, manage lighting and watch camera footage, right from their TV. Also allows X1 customers to manage their home controls from their mobile device.
- Family Point App: App will enable families at home to see the most recent location of their family members, who have chosen to be connected through their smartphone, and leave sticky notes for each other that will appear when the TV is turned on.
- Xfinity Voicemail App: App will allow X1 customers to playback and record voicemails on the TV, including readable voicemail.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV