Year to date, my equal-weighted "anti-value" portfolio -- comprised of Amazon (AMZN), Facebook (FB), LinkedIn (LNKD), Netflix (NFLX), Salesforce.com (CRM) and Twitter (TWTR) -- is down nearly 20%, with almost all of that damage having been done in the past five weeks.
Meanwhile, during the same period, the S&P 500 is up 2%, and the Nasdaq Composite index has fallen 1.7%.
Twitter has suffered the most damage year to date, down 40%. LinkedIn (-29%) and Amazon (-25%) are not far behind. Facebook (+3%) is the only one of the six in positive territory year to date.The lesson is clear: Valuation matters. Investors have grown skittish about paying a premium price for shiny objects, and this is the result. It might just be the beginning. There's more potential downside to the Super Six. It is still, in my view, an expensive portfolio. I don't, however, buy into the notion that this is the beginning of another "tech wreck." It is more likely a shift from the highflying growth companies into those that offer compelling value. Apple (AAPL), at at 12.5 times 2015 estimated earnings and with a war chest of cash and securities, is an example the type of company I am referring to. Further down the market-capitalization spectrum, there are also opportunities. My "BITES" portfolio, comprised of five smaller tech related value companies, is up about 4% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV