Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM) today reported financial results for the quarter ended Mar. 31, 2014. The company reported adjusted earnings per share 1 of $0.55, up from $0.46 in the same period last year. Net earnings for the quarter were $267 million, or $0.40 per share, comparable to the $0.41 per share in the same period one year earlier. Segment operating profit 1 was $691 million, up 10 percent from the year-ago period. Adjusted segment operating profit 1 was $780 million, up 17 percent from the year-ago period.
“Our businesses delivered mixed results in the first quarter,” said ADM Chairman and CEO Patricia Woertz. “Our Ag Services business again generated weak results due to a low margin environment as well as logistics and weather challenges in the U.S. Continued strong performance in Corn was supported by the robust ethanol market. And the sustained, solid results in Oilseeds were driven by good margins and volumes in North and South American soybean crushing.
“We continued to make good progress during the quarter in our ongoing portfolio management and other key initiatives to improve the earnings power and returns of the company.”
First Quarter 2014 Highlights 1
- Adjusted EPS of $0.55 excludes approximately $159 million in pretax LIFO charges, or $0.15 per share.
- Oilseeds Processing operating profit increased $50 million, as North American soybean crushing had strong utilization amid good meal demand, and South American soybean crushing and origination benefited from large harvests, good demand, and an improved logistics environment.
- Corn Processing operating profit increased $64 million on strong results from ethanol.
- Agricultural Services operating profit increased $2 million, as market conditions and higher costs limited merchandising and handling margins.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts