Silicon Labs (NASDAQ: SLAB), a leader in high-performance, analog-intensive, mixed-signal integrated circuits (ICs), today reported financial results for its first quarter ended March 29, 2014. Revenue in the first quarter was at the top end of guidance at $145.7 million, compared with $146.2 million reported in the fourth quarter. Additionally, the company reported excellent performance on its balance sheet with strong cash flows and effective working capital management.
Q1 Financial Highlights
On a GAAP basis:
- Gross margin was 59.8 percent
- R&D expenses were $42.5 million
- SG&A expenses were $34.6 million
- Operating income as a percentage of revenue was 6.9 percent
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.18
On a non-GAAP basis (results exclude the impact of stock compensation, amortization from acquired intangible assets and certain other items as set forth in the reconciliation tables below):
- Gross margin was 60.2 percent
- R&D expenses were $35.0 million
- SG&A expenses were $28.5 million
- Operating income was 16.6 percent
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.42
- Broad-based revenue was $72.3 million, essentially flat sequentially, as expected.
- Broadcast exceeded expectations with revenue of $50.7 million, including record revenue in video.
- Access revenue decreased slightly, as expected, to $22.7 million.
- Introduced a new version of the Simplicity Studio™ development ecosystem supporting Silicon Labs’ MCU products in a single, unified platform, making the embedded design process easier, faster and more efficient.
- Announced the expansion of Silicon Labs’ Ember® ZigBee® portfolio with the introduction of a new ARM®-based system-on-a-chip family that reduces the cost and complexity of deploying ZigBee solutions in smart metering and home automation applications.
- Launched the industry’s first single-chip digital ultraviolet (UV) index sensor ICs designed to track UV sun exposure, heart rate and blood oxygen levels for wearable products such as smart watches and health and fitness trackers.
- Acquired the full product portfolio and intellectual property of Silicon Valley-based Touchstone Semiconductor, an early-stage technology company and provider of low-power analog IC products targeting Internet of Things applications.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV