NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer says the "cohort" of momentum stocks such as Workday (WDAY), Splunk (SPLK), Salesforce.com (CRM) and Veeva Systems (VEEV) cannot bring down the whole market.
Cramer points out the last time a cohort got "out of control" like this was in March 2000 when the momentum names took over almost the entire market and were predominant in the S&P 500. This time around, these stocks are not as much of a factor despite how often they are discussed.
More importantly, Cramer points to the bottom in March 2000 that led to out-performance from industrial, consumer package goods, utilities and oil stocks. Cramer encourages investors not to think the momentum stocks will pull down the whole market; rather, it could be good for the rest of the market as these stocks come down.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates WORKDAY INC as a "sell" with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate WORKDAY INC (WDAY) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 80.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$30.94 million to -$55.98 million.
- WORKDAY INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WORKDAY INC reported poor results of -$1.00 versus -$0.45 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.56 versus -$1.00).
- Compared to where it was a year ago, the stock is now trading at a higher level, and has traded in line with the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.41, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 4.69 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, WORKDAY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: WDAY Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV