NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Bank of America Corp. (BAC) continue to fall this afternoon following the bank's announcement earlier today that it would suspend stock repurchases, a dividend increase and resubmit a capital plan, after it uncovered an incorrect accounting adjustment.
The stock is down -6.30% to $14.94.
Morgan Stanley (MS) analysts today said the bank should retain its dividend increase but not continue its repurchase plan, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Analysts say the market reaction is overdone. Investors are taking into account that stock buybacks will be eliminated through 2016, according to Morgan Stanley.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. It was positive that the error was found internally through the CFO group after a review of the 10-Q filing, which was better than the mistake being brought to their attention by a third party or the Fed. The hit to earnings per share will be about 1.3%, according to the report. Morgan Stanley analysts lowered their 2015 earnings per share estimate by 2 cents to $1.79 on higher share count, but the adjustment had no impact to their 2014 EPS estimate, the Journal noted. The company said it will review its financial accounts and plans to request a capital action plan that is less than its previously announced 2014 plan.
- The gross profit margin for BANK OF AMERICA CORP is currently very high, coming in at 84.82%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.08% is in-line with the industry average.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, BAC's share price has jumped by 32.73%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- BANK OF AMERICA CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BANK OF AMERICA CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.91 versus $0.25 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.96 versus $0.91).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 13.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BANK OF AMERICA CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BAC Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV