So, what could Buffett and Berkshire's board do to ease the pain of the CEO's eventual departure? How about announcing a plan to spinoff to shareholders parts of the publicly traded dynasty? Then by demonstrating the hidden value of those parts, Berkshire Hathaway could offer a reassuring consolation prize.
When one considers the vast diversity of the publicly traded U.S. stocks owned by the company as of the end of 2013, including 31% of the shares of USG Corporation (USG) shares and over $31 billion of Wells Fargo (WFC) stock, carving out a special distribution to its devoted shareholders shouldn't be difficult.
Then there are the privately held pieces like Geico, the second-largest car insurer in the U.S., and Burlington Northern Santa Fe railway, which, according to Bloomberg, is responsible for nearly 21% of Berkshire's pre-tax earnings. Either would make a valuable spinoff.
Perhaps Buffett will take note of what Apple (AAPL) finally did to restore confidence in its stock and encourage shareholders in a big way. A Berkshire Hathaway stock split may be part of the answer as well as an increase in the company's stock buyback program.
Frankly, I don't anticipate that my suggestions will be implemented. I do think Buffett will share some of his thoughts about the future of Berkshire Hathaway in his upcoming letter to shareholders. For now I'm not buying the stock until a correction ensues and a meaningful succession plan is made public.
At the time of publication the author had a position in AAPL.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.Google+
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV