According to The Wall Street Journal, the FCC will soon update its spectrum screens to cover a wider array of spectrum. Spectrum screens increase the amount of scrutiny given to mergers or spectrum deals when a carrier owns more than one-third of all spectrum in a given market. The new spectrum screen adds a total of 128.5 megahertz to the screen, which Sprint owns 101 megahertz of.
The new screens would make it difficult for Sprint to make spectrum deals in many markets as it would meet or exceed the one-third mark in most major markets. The screens may also make it more difficult for Sprint to merge with T-Mobile (TMUS), should the carrier try to pursue such a merger.
Most of the spectrum in the new screens is in the 2.5 gigahertz band. Sprint acquired spectrum in the band when it acquired Clearwire last year. The spectrum was previously mostly used by religious and educational groups, and wasn't counted in the FCC's screens.Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV