BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- The first trading sessions of May kick off at the end of this week, and that could be a very good thing for investors who have been watching the calendar closely in 2014.
"New month, new market" has been the name of the game this year, with vastly different trading environments from the moment the calendar flipped to January, February, March and April. The big question is whether May will be a return to the kind of straight-up market environment that we got back in February. If the end of April has been any indication, that may well be the case.The line in the sand is 1,890 in the S&P 500 -- that's the resistance level that swatted the big index down into its most recent correction this past month. If buyers can absorb the selling pressure up there, then we'll have considerable room to keep rallying. That's why we're turning to a brand new set of "Rocket Stocks" for this week. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 246 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 80.68%. >>5 Mega-Cap Stocks to Trade for Gains Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV