This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
Stocks Under $10 with 50-100% upside potential - 14 days FREE!

Comcast to Sell 1.4M Time Warner Customers to Charter Communications

Stocks in this article: CMCSA TWX CHTR


WATCH: More tech videos on TheStreet TV | More videos from Brittany Umar

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Comcast agrees to shed about 3.9 million subscribers, including 1.4 million Time Warner customers it plans to sell to competitor Charter Communications, to help its $45 billion takeover of Time Warner win regulatory approval.

VIDEO TRANSCRIPT:

Cable company Comcast (CMCSA) has agreed to shed about 3.9 million subscribers to help its $45 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable (TWX) win regulatory approval.

Comcast reached a deal to sell 1.4 million Time Warner customers to competitor Charter Communications (CHTR) for an estimated $7.3 billion in cash.  Comcast also plans to create a new publicly traded cable provider that will serve about 2.5 million of its existing subscribers.

Charter will create a new holding company that will have about a 33% stake in the newly created provider, with Comcast and former Time Warner shareholders owning the remaining roughly 67%.

Comcast and Charter also agreed to swap 1.6 million Time Warner customers and 1.6 million Charter customers in order to improve their geographic presence.  All details of the companies' agreement is dependent upon the completion of the Comcast-Time Warner merger.

In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet.

-- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.

Select the service that is right for you!

COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Action Alerts PLUS
Try it NOW

Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
  • Weekly roundups
TheStreet Quant Ratings
Try it NOW
Only $49.95/yr

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
  • Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Stocks Under $10
Try it NOW

David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
  • Weekly roundups
Dividend Stock Advisor
Try it NOW

Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
  • Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Real Money Pro
Try it NOW

All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.

Product Features:
  • Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
  • Intraday commentary & news
  • Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Options Profits
Try it NOW

Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • 100+ monthly options trading ideas
  • Actionable options commentary & news
  • Real-time trading community
  • Options TV
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!

Markets

DOW 18,053.71 +23.50 0.13%
S&P 500 2,088.77 +6.89 0.33%
NASDAQ 4,806.8590 +33.3870 0.70%

Brokerage Partners

Rates from Bankrate.com

  • Mortgage
  • Credit Cards
  • Auto

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs