NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Bayer AG (BAYRY) are higher by 3.94% to $135.20 after it was reported that the pharmaceutical and chemicals company is exploring a sale of its $10 billion plastics unit to focus on expanding the health business, sources say, according to Bloomberg.
The German company is considering the options for Bayer Material Science after Evonik Industries AG showed potential interest several months ago, sources added.
No final decision has been made on the plastics unit, and the Evonik considerations failed to gain traction, they said, Bloomberg noted.
Also, Bayer first quarter earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization and special items jumped to 2.74 billion euros, beating the 2.56 billion-euro average estimate compiled by Bloomberg.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV