Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CE), a global technology and specialty materials company, will present a technical paper on glass reinforced composites for lightweight and strong automotive components during the ITB Group Automotive Mass Reduction Strategies 2014 conference on Thursday, May 1, at the Sheraton Detroit Novi Hotel in Michigan.
Celanese, also an exhibitor, will deliver the paper at 3:00 p.m. during the Material Innovations session of the daylong program:
- “Development of a Doorframe Support Structure in Glass-Reinforced Polypropylene Composites: Material Validation and Process Enhancements” by Greg Clark, global market manager, Composites
- A 2013 study in Germany evaluated the use of unidirectional (UD) glass fiber-reinforced polypropylene tape-based composites in the production of a doorframe support structure for the storage-bin door of a commercial truck. After extensive simulation work and material validation, a comprehensive process study examined the effects of ply layup and fiber orientation to understand how UD glass fibers move during molding. Clark will discuss process optimization and the mass and cost targets.
The Celanese portfolio of high-performance engineering polymers for automotive weight reduction, as well as fuel system, electronic, energy storage, powertrain and thermal management applications includes:
- Celstran ® / Factor ® / Compel ® long fiber reinforced thermoplastics (LFRT)
- Celstran CFR-TP / CFR-TPR (continuous fiber-reinforced thermoplastic tapes rods and profiles)
- Celanex ® thermoplastic polyester (PBT)
- Fortron ® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS)
- GUR ® ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW-PE)
- Hostaform ® / Celcon ® acetal copolymer (POM)
- Thermx ® polycyclohexylene dimethylene terephthalate (PCT)
- Vectra ® / Zenite ® liquid crystal polymer (LCP)
Visit the Automotive and Transportation section of the Celanese website to see how engineered materials help automotive original equipment manufacturers and tier suppliers improve quality while reducing weight and lowering production costs.About Celanese Celanese Corporation is a global technology leader in the production of differentiated chemistry solutions and specialty materials used in most major industries and consumer applications. With sales almost equally divided between North America, Europe and Asia, the company uses the full breadth of its global chemistry, technology and business expertise to create value for customers and the corporation. Celanese partners with customers to solve their most critical needs while making a positive impact on its communities and the world. Based in Dallas, Texas, Celanese employs approximately 7,400 employees worldwide and had 2013 net sales of $6.5 billion. For more information about Celanese Corporation and its product offerings, visit www.celanese.com or our blog at www.celaneseblog.com . All trademarks indicated above are owned by Celanese International Corporation or its affiliates. Fortron ® is a registered trademark of Fortron Industries LLC.