Before market open, shares of AstraZeneca had spiked 17.1% to $80.43.
In a statement, Pfizer said it had previously offered to purchase the biopharmaceutical company in January for 46.61 British pounds (or $76.62) a share, a transaction offered in cash and stock. At the time, the offer represented a 30% premium to AstraZeneca's share price. Pfizer said AstraZeneca declined to pursue negotiations after "limited high-level discussions." However, in late April, Pfizer contacted AstraZeneca to pursue discussions "in light of recent market developments.""The combination of Pfizer and AstraZeneca could further enhance the ability to create value for shareholders of both companies and bring an expanded portfolio of important treatments to patients," said Pfizer CEO Ian Read in a statement. "A potential combination with AstraZeneca aligns with Pfizers current structure and fully supports its existing strategy to build world-class businesses." A possible transaction would be accretive to Pfizer's adjusted earnings in the first full fiscal year following the combination. Pfizer noted synergies could be achieved through greater capital efficiency and a more efficient tax structure. The current contemplated structure would be a new U.K.-incorporated holding company. Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV