NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I started looking at Amazon
(AMZN) stock today thanks to a cool Morningstar article written by Director R. J. Hottovy, CFA, about Amazon being one of "the most disruptive companies in the consumer space."
Years ago, something "disruptive" was offensive.
Not offended but certainly curious, I started to read more about Amazon, which I have shorted a number of times and have done so with excellent results. I wanted to learn more about what Amazon is up to and if I want to trade it in the upcoming week.
In my research, I came across the Apple TV versus Amazon Fire TV competition, and really delved into The digital media war between Apple (AAPL) and Amazon. I hadn't really thought of Apple and Amazon as adversaries because I think of them as being very different companies. But are they really?
Differences between Apple and Amazon:
It's easy to see why Apple can do a 7:1 stock split (effective June 9, 2014) with the hope of long-term growth. The only weak point in Apple's long-term picture for me is I'd like to see Apple put forth an amazing, major innovation.
As far as the long-term picture for Amazon, I am incredibly impressed with Amazon's innovative thinking. I've seen the at-home shopping/delivery offerings for years and not until we saw Amazon Dash was my family interested in doing it. Amazon Dash is brilliant and I am excited to begin using the service.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV