Senate Bill Mandates Free Annual Credit Scores
NEW YORK (LowCards.com) -- A proposed bill in the U.S. Senate would mandate all consumers have access to free annual credit scores.
The Stop Errors in Credit Use and Reporting Act is designed to reduce the problems consumers experience through errors in their scores.
Bill S.2224 is sponsored by Sens. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.). Known as the SECURE Act, it gives consumers "access to meaningful credit scores free of charge annually."
This is similar to the service offered through AnnualCreditReport.com, with which consumers can see their credit reports from all three credit bureaus for free once a year. Consumers must pay to see their credit scores on this site, though, and that would change under the SECURE Act."In today's economy, it is critical that consumers have access to a safe and reliable way of checking their credit reports and scores," Brown said. Providing this information will help consumers keep better track of their credit and correct issues before a problem grows. Credit report errors can lower consumers' credit scores and lead to higher interest rates. showing cardholders their FICO credit scores on their monthly statements: Discover, First Bankcard and Barclay. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is urging all issuers to provide free credit scores.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV