NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The U.S. housing market recovery has slowed, and not many average investors are taking notice. Consider what close to eight months of sluggish new and existing home sales, due to price gouging homebuilders and higher mortgage rates, has done to early cycle (companies selling products needed early on in the building process) housing stocks.
- Lumber Liquidators (LL): -8.40%
- Owen's Corning (OC): -2.98%
- Mohawk Industries (MHK): -0.14%
- Beazer Homes (BZH): -4.23%
- Pulte Homes (PHM): -1.28%
- Toll Brothers (TOL): -2.81%
- Hovnanian (HOV): -5.56%
When Owen's Corning recently warned of weak roofing sales I made a mental note. When Whirlpool (WHR) needed increased marketing to move appliances in the U.S. last quarter, I began working the phones of contacts on the ground. Then I went looking for odd clues at home improvement retailers to justify the information I was receiving.
Holding housing stocks that are 10% off from their peak? I suggest doing a bit of grassroots research such as I did below at Home Depot (HD) to gauge whether the key spring season for housing could be surprisingly mediocre, hurting the outlooks for the companies mentioned above.Turn up the sound on these Vines!
Plants in the parking lot = Home Depot hoping to catch the attention of those on the highway.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV