NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Condom sales are booming. In Cuba, there is currently a shortage of the rubber in a wrapper due to prior government initiatives. Here are the quick facts regarding the condom market:
- Global condom sales are expected to grow at a 9% CAGR from 2013-2018. Considering that condoms are not a new item, certainly there have to be factors at play driving the market other than governments focusing on population control and STD protection (there are).
- Trojan and Durex, the industry heavyweights, have 69% and 15% respective market shares in the U.S. condom market
- Trojan, owned by Church & Dwight (CHD), has 26 times the advertising budget of Durex
- In 2013, Microsoft (MSFT) founder and philanthropist Bill Gates distributed $100,000 to 11 winners in a contest to develop a condom that preserved or improved sexual pleasure, thus encouraging more people to use them, preventing more unwanted pregnancies and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
- A movement by companies to introduce new pleasure-oriented condoms for both men and women, including those branded as socially conscious products.
- Yes, condoms are getting thinner and are being marketed as a new innovation -- manufacturer cost savings masked as offering a heightened sexual experience.
- Innovative packaging from the actual box to condom wrappers are improving the product appeal.
-- By Brian Sozzi CEO of Belus Capital Advisors, analyst to TheStreet.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV