4 Qualities a Leader Needs When to Rebuild a Business
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When challenges threaten business performance, whether a shift in leadership or economic woes, it's sink or swim. Last year 44,111 businesses found themselves in rough waters and declared bankruptcy. But there are success stories and lessons to be learned from companies that come back from the brink.
When Bruce Barren arrived at M Line Holdings last year, the company was in dire straits. It had a negative net worth and was over-leveraged and starving for new capital to keep from bankruptcy or closed doors. On top of that, M Line was behind in its order deliveries, buried in rent arrearages and overdue employee payroll.
Less than 30 days after Barren joined, the California precision-parts supplier to the aerospace industry turned profitable, with major gains.
M Line had posted a $4.2 million loss on total revenues of $9.4 million in its fiscal year, Barren says. Its revenue is on target for a 60% gain this year, and earnings are expected to increase to $1.5 million, reflecting a $5.7 million turnaround.M Line is one example of a company saving itself from financial ruin during particularly tough economic times. When experiencing corporate hardship, these four qualities are essential to improving performance for any business, in any industry: Vision. Leadership is easy to come by in business, but a leader with a solid vision is rarer. When a business is struggling, a strong leader comes in with a goal-oriented roadmap executing a vision to pull the company out of the trenches. In addition to having a vision, it's important to communicate it clearly from the top down to create a sense of cohesion throughout the company. M Line found an experienced, industry-accepted executive who focused on fixing immediate threats. Barren focused on growth by attracting new customers and rejuvenating old customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV